Trick-or-treating will be open in Flossmoor from 3-7 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 31. The Flossmoor Police Department offers the following tips to enjoy the afternoon and evening safely:
- Children under the age of 12 should be accompanied by an adult.
- Select a correctly sized costume to prevent unexpected trips and falls. Choose face paint instead of masks whenever possible, as masks can limit your visibility.
- Make sure that your cell phone and other smart devices you will bring are fully charged.
- Carry glow sticks or flashlights; use reflective tape or stickers on costumes and bags; and wear light-colored clothing and shoes to assist with visibility at night.
- Homeowners are encouraged to turn on porch lights and sidewalk lighting for greater visibility.
- Motorists must slow down and be alert for pedestrian traffic, as families and children may enter crosswalks and streets unexpectedly. Turn on your headlights earlier in the evening to help you better spot pedestrians.
- Never enter unknown residences or vacant properties.
- Check all candy and ornaments collected from trick-or-treating before consumption and usage. Discard candy and other treatsthat are not properly enclosed in wrappers.
Lastly, as always, report any suspicious activities and emergencies to the Flossmoor Police by dialing 911 or 708-957-4500, for non-emergencies. For medical emergencies, contact the Flossmoor Fire Department by dialing 911.