In honor of Veteran’s Day, the PADS Ministry of St. John Neumann Parish in Homewood and American Legion Post 1139 in East Hazel Crest are holding a collection drive for clothing, snacks and personal care items for veterans at the Veterans’ Home in Manteno.
The event from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Nov. 4, will take place at St. John Neumann Parish, 17951 Dixie Highway. People with donations should enter the north parking lot.
Organizers ask donors to place donations in bags or boxes in their vehicle’s trunk. Volunteers will remove the items.
Monetary donations can be made by check made payable to American Legion Post 1139 and designate it for the Veterans’ Home Manteno.
Organizers note that due to public health guidelines, some items cannot be accepted, including used clothing, shoes, blankets and furniture. All items must be new. No prepared food or beverages can be accepted.
The following is a list of items that will help veterans:
- Electric razors.
- Men’s button-down shirts, size medium to 2XL.
- Men’s T-shirts, size medium to 4XL.
- Denture cream or tablets.
- Men’s summer shorts, size M to 4XL.
- Belts, size 36 and up.
- Reading glasses, 1.50 or higher.
- Non-alcoholic mouth wash.
- Velcro shoes, men’s size 9 to 14.
- Small candy bars without nuts.
- Sugar-free cookies.
- Hawaiian punch, gallon-size.
- Individually packaged chips.
- Crackers, cheese or peanut butter.
- Soft cereal bars.
- Coffee, regular and decaffeinated.
- Coffee creamer.
- Snack cakes.
- Bottled water.
- Electric toothbrushes.
- Greeting cards.
- Batteries, AAA, AA, C, D and 9V types.
- Paper plates.
- Sturdy cutlery.
- Small flashlights.
- Plastic baggies.
- Pocket personal amplifiers.
- Postage stamps.
- Bendable straws.
- Bluetooth headphones.