THE WEEKS >
Flossmoor Board of Trustees will meet at 7:30 p.m. Monday, May 15, in village hall, 2800 Flossmoor Road.
- Find the agenda here.
- Attend the meeting virtually here, with ID 852 0802 6522, passcode 60422, or by phone at 312-626-6799.
- Highlights: The board will discuss a proposed drainage project designed to relieve flooding downtown. If approved, the project would use land near Heather Hill school to store excess water. The board also will consider a contract with an architect to design renovations to the fire department’s women’s locker room and a contract with an engineering firm to oversee the water meter replacement project.
Homewood-Flossmoor Park District Board of Commissioners will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 16, at Goldberg Administration Center, 3301 Flossmoor Road.
- The agenda has not been posted by will be available at hfparks.com.
- Highlight: The board will hold a public hearing on the 2023-24 budget.
Homewood-Flossmoor School District 233 Board of Education will meet at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 16, at H-F High School library, 999 Kedzie Ave. in Flossmoor.
- Find the agenda here.
- Highlights: The board will consider several contract renewals, including one with two school bus companies for a total of more than $2.5 million, an 8.5% increase over the current year; one for athletic training services with an increase not to exceed 4%; one for cleaning services with an increase of 5%; one for food services that would include a $150,000 operating fee in order to keep food prices flat for students. The board will also consider a contract with a service to improve campus security.
Flossmoor Green Commission will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 16, in village hall, 2800 Flossmoor Road.
- The agenda has not been posted yet but will be available at flossmoor.org.
Homewood Public Library Board of Trustees will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 17, at the library, 17917 Dixie Highway.
- Find the agenda here.
Cops on the roof
Homewood police officers will be participating in the annual Cop on a Rooftop fundraiser from 6 a.m. to noon on Friday, May 19. Officers will be posted on the roof of Dunkin’ on at 17579 Halsted St. to raise money and awareness for Special Olympics of Illinois.
Any customer who makes a donation will be given a coupon for a free donut. With a donation of $10 or more, a customer will be given a coupon for a free medium coffee and a Torch Run/Dunkin’ coffee mug (while supplies last).
Appreciate local architecture
Flossmoor Service League will host its house walk from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesday, May 17. Information and tickets at the FSL website.
Homewood Public Works open house: Big machines. Kids. Fun.
Homewood Public Works will host its annual open house from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, May 20, at 17755 Ashland Ave. Kids love climbing on big equipment during this annual event. Hot dogs will be served for lunch.
Feed your calendar
- Saturday, May 27: Opening day of the Homewood Farmers Market summer season from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Martin Square between Ridge and Chestnut Roads. Food, fresh produce, live music and activities.
- Monday, May 29: Taps Across America from 3 to 4 p.m. in downtown Flossmoor.Friday, June 2, and Saturday, June 3: Homewood Artisan Street Fair on Martin Avenue and Hickory Road. Get the summer festival season rolling with artists, crafters, music, food and activities. Hours are Friday, from 4 to 9 p.m., and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday, June 3: Bike the Gem from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. following the route of the Hidden Gem Half Marathon. More details coming soon.
- Saturday, June 17: H-F Juneteenth Festival from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. in the south parking lot at Homewood-Flossmoor High School, 999 Kedzie Ave.
- Monday, June 19: H-F Juneteenth Parade starting at 9 a.m. at Western Avenue School.
< THE WEEKS
Train station project groundbreaking
Regional transportation and local government officials marked the start of the next phase of the Homewood train station renovation project with a groundbreaking ceremony on Thursday, May 11. Amtrak completed accessibility and boarding platform improvements last year. Now, Metra and Pace are rebuilding the tunnel and east side access.
Bookie’s closes again
Bookie’s New and Used Books owner Keith Lewis announced the closure of the store after nearly six months operating in partnership with The Rock Shop at 18019 Dixie Highway in Homewood. Lewis said the businesses did not mesh as well as the partners had hoped.
Parker Junior High teachers express concerns
Three Parker Junior High School teachers addressed the Board of Education to express concern about safety and student behavior. Superintendent Dana Smith has discussed the issues with teachers, and he promised to continue the process.
H-F High junior wins monologue contest
Homewood-Flossmoor High School junior Jazmin Rhodes won the national August Wilson New Voices Monologue Competition.