Homewood-Flossmoor High School administrators continue to deal with the fallout from an alleged sexual assault incident Monday and are anticipating a student walkout Thursday.
Flossmoor police and school officials continue to investigate the incident that happened Monday, Oct. 31, as students were rehearsing lines for a theater program production. One student has been questioned, but no charges have been filed.
District 233 administrators have been working with students, staff and parents to assure them H-F is a safe and welcoming place and that staff and administrators hear student concerns.
On Tuesday, Nov. 1, more than 80 students met in the South Building gym after school with school counselors and social workers to discuss the allegations and what they want to see as next steps. The administration is also organizing an event with the H-F Parents Association to give parents information and hear their concerns. No date has been set for that meeting.
In a memo to students, staff and parents dated Wednesday, Nov. 2, District 233 Superintendent Scott Wakeley and H-F Principal Clinton Alexander said they “value student voice” and are planning another session with students “for open dialogue.”
Earlier in the day Tuesday a small group of students conducted a walkout but returned to class, according to the administration.
Administrators are expecting a larger walkout on Thursday, Nov. 3.
In a memo to students, staff and parents, Wakeley and Alexander said: “We will work to ensure that all students are safe and respected. We will be working in cooperation with the Flossmoor Police Department to maintain student safety, provide traffic control and assure students remain on school property.”
Students may choose to participate in the walkout or stay in class. During the walkout, access to the H-F campus will be closed.