The Chronicle’s 2019 Consolidated Election Voters Guide: Two Park District candidates responded to our questionnaire, Steve Johnson and Brit Volini
HOMEWOOD-FLOSSMOOR PARK DISTRICT COMMISSIONER CANDIDATES
6-year term (vote for 2)
Managing Partner and Chief Operating Officer at CG Life, a 50-person marketing communications agency exclusively supporting the needs of global life science and healthcare clients.
Wife, Mary Beth; daughter Hanna is a sophomore at Indiana University and Jack, a senior at H-F High School.
Maintaining the legacy as one of the finest park districts in the nation in a fiscally responsible manner is the largest challenge facing the H-F Park District. Specifically, that means:
- Ensuring that programs and facilities meet the recreational needs of our diverse communities.
- Innovating and rethinking how we use the resources we have.
- Recognizing the critical role the park district plays in creating a sense of true community for all H-F residents.
- We must continue to evaluate, innovate and reimagine how we deliver recreational opportunities to our community in order to lesser the burden on taxpayers.
- Continue to provide business and financial guidance to the executive director and the other commissioners to ensure H-F Park District remains a source of pride for all residents and park district employees.
- Complete long-range usage and business plans for the various revenue-generating facilities to ensure our community has access to the latest recreation options for years to come.
- Continue to be a resource for the residents and taxpayers of HF
- Stay out of the way of the true recreation and park professionals!
B.A., Finance, St. Olaf College, Northfield, Minnesota
M.B.A DePaul University
As a wife and mother, I rely almost religiously on the variety of award-winning Homewood-Flossmoor Park District programs to educate, engage and empower not just our children, but everyone in our household.
Girls Hockey Director – St. Jude Hockey Club; previously, Hockey Director – H-F Park district., 8 years and Assistant Rink Manager – Park District of Franklin Park, 2 years
I’m a true believer in quality over quantity. H-F’s diversity in programming is incredible and one of the reasons the park district won the 2018 Gold Medal Award. However, it’s important that the quality of programs is strong, that staff is trained, positive, engaged and experienced. Continuing staff training is needed several times while employed with the park district. Along the same lines would be staff evaluations. A stronger emphasis on evaluations for part time and full time staff members is important.
I was employed by park districts (H-F and Franklin Park) for a decade and had a lot of interaction with commissioners. The support they provided always paralleled my performance. My why is simple, be the best support system for the H-F staff and H-F community. We have an excellent park district in H-F, but why stop there? Never stop improving!