The Homewood-Flossmoor Park District Racquet Club is planning a host of activities on Wednesday, May 31, to mark National Senior Health & Fitness Day.
The special events at the racquet club, 2920 W. 183rd St. in Homewood, will provide seniors with information through presentations; a chance to get their health checked through basic wellness screenings; and opportunities to participate in some of the programs the racquet club offers that can be a benefit to seniors’ health.
Interested in aquatics? Seniors can get a look at these classes, or sign a waiver and participate for the day. The group fitness class will meet in the racquet club pool from 9 to 10 a.m., and the Silver Sneakers Splash, a nationally recognized program, is at the pool at 1:45 p.m.
Have a need to stretch and flex your muscles? Try the Primetime Low Impact/Strength class, a cardio dance and weight training program at the racquet club’s studio offered at 10:30 a.m.
Between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.:
- The Homewood Walgreen’s staff will provide vaccinations (insurance may be applicable)
- Ingalls Hospital will offer blood pressure screening
- Franciscan St. James will offer early heart attack care
- Rush Hospital will offer mini mental state exams
Health care providers also will offer topical programs:
- 9:30 a.m., “Mental Health & Exercise” by Sertoma staff
- 10:30 a.m., “Reducing Chances of Alzheimer’s through Nutrition and Exercise” given by Rush Hospital staff
- 11:30 a.m., “A Gut Feeling: A Healthier Digestive System Means a Healthier You,” by the Cancer Support Center
For information on these programs, or National Senior Health & Fitness Day 2017, contact the racquet club staff at 708-799-1323 or visit hfracquetandfitness.com.