CLEOPATRA APPEARANCE — Martina Mathison will portray the last Egyptian Pharoah at the Homewood Historical Society meeting, 6:45 p.m. tonight in the meeting room of Homewood Public Library, 17917 Dixie Highway.
EDUCATOR OPEN HOUSE — The Homewood Science Center, 18022 Dixie Highway in Homewood, will host an open house for educators from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 9. Community educators, childcare teachers, school district teachers, out-of-school time educators are encouraged to visit the center for a night out with their children. Spend the evening exploring HSC exhibits while learning more about programs the science center offers. Aurelio’s pizza will be served at 5:30 p.m. Registration required.
THANKSGIVING FOOD DRIVE — Open Access provides complete Thanksgiving meals to 1,000 area families in need. Local businesses help create those meals by collecting non-perishable food items. Monetary donations can be made at the website until Nov. 21. Food donations can be made until Nov. 11 at the following businesses and organizations:
- First Reformed Church, 15924 S. Park Ave., in South Holland — stuffing.
- Abbott’s Printing, 611 E 170th St., South Holland — green beans.
- Redbird Café, 2057 Ridge Road, Homewood — corn bread.
- Serendipity Yoga, 18300 Dixie Highway, Homewood — corn bread.
- Cancer Support Center, 2028 Elm Road, Homewood — all the sides.
- Homewood Science Center, 18022 Dixie Highway, Homewood — all the sides.
- Loulou Belle, 2049 Ridge Road, Homewood — green beans.
- Jonathan Kane Salon, 18065 Harwood Ave., Homewood — boxed potatoes.
FLOSSMOOR SEEKS CANDLE LIGHTERS — The village of Flossmoor is seeking volunteers to help light the community menorah during Chanukah and the kinara during Kwanzaa. Anyone who is interested in helping should email [email protected].