The winter holiday season in Homewood and Flossmoor will have its first big events on Saturday, Nov. 25.
That will be Small Business Saturday in both villages and nationwide, an annual reminder of the important role local businesses play in a community.
Nov. 25 is also the day Flossmoor launches its holiday festivities with celebrations and singing on the south lawn of Flossmoor Public Library from 3 until about 5:30 p.m., when the crowd strolls to Flossmoor Park for the community tree lighting ceremony.
Other holiday events
- Janet Gustafson’s annual gingerbread village tours at her home in Flossmoor will be from 4 to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 2. Registration is required. Check flossmoor.org for more information.
- Grande Prairie Singers will perform a Christmas concert of contemporary and classical music at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 2, at Flossmoor Community Church, 2218 Hutchison Road, in Flossmoor.
- From Dec. 7 through 15, Flossmoor will host a menorah lighting ceremony at 5 p.m. each day in Flossmoor Park, 2449 Flossmoor Road.
- Nanny Nikki will be back this year for a holiday musical performance from 11 a.m. to noon on Dec. 9 at Flossmoor Public Library, 1000 Sterling Ave. Visit flossmoorlibrary.org for more information.
- The Illinois Philharmonic Orchestra presents its Holiday Festival: A Celebration of Voice and Music, featuring the Chicago Community Chorus, at 3 p.m. Dec. 9, at the Ozinga Chapel, 6601 W. College Drive, in Palos Heights.
- The Flossmoor Holiday Lights Parade will begin at 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 21. Village police, fire and public works vehicles, decorated for the season, will parade through Flossmoor neighborhoods.
- From Dec. 26 through Jan. 1, Flossmoor will host a kinara lighting ceremony at 5 p.m. each day in Flossmoor Park.