While Black Friday might be the big event of the year for retail sales nationwide, local businesses hope shoppers will save some money for the next day. Small Business Saturday on Nov. 30 is the big event for Homewood and Flossmoor businesses.
The annual nationwide event is an opportunity for shop local advocates to really make a splash, and local stores will be offering special deals to reward shoppers who do.
The Flossmoor Business Association will support its members with a customer appreciation gift, according to Maureen Mader, owner of Dunnings Market, 1050 Sterling Ave. in Flossmoor.
“As an association we are assembling gift bags with a token from each of our businesses as a thank you to our customers,” she said. “Customers are encouraged to check in at each of our shops on Facebook or Instagram and write something unique about each store to participate in the gift giveaway.”
Supplies are limited, she said, and the gifts will be given out on a first-come first-served basis.
At Dunnings Market, Mader will have a special breakfast, along with cappuccinos and lattes for $3, plus 10 percent off all jarred items.
For Doyle Sims of Doyle Designed salon, Small Business Saturday is a prelude to a big celebration.
“I will be starting my 25th year this coming January at my salon,” he said. “In honor of SBS I am giving 25 percent off any one 8 ounce (container) of my exclusive Doyle Designed Hair Care line.”
Sims will also offer a $25 bonus for every $100 gift certificate purchased on Saturday.
Other businesses offering special deals in Flossmoor include:
- Flossmoor Station, 1035 Sterling Ave.: A 15 percent discount. Patrons just need to show their server the social media post announcing the special in order to get the discount.
- Conservatory Vintage & Vinyl, 1042 Sterling Ave.: Select items, including furniture, home decor accessories and vinyl records will be discounted for one day only.
- Kluger Furs, 3303 Vollmer Road, will be offering a free gift with purchase, and customers who check in on the store’s Facebook page will be qualified to receive a gift bag.
This year’s window theme is “The Snowy Day,” inspired by the classic Ezra Jack Keats book.
Members of the Homewood Business Association will have progressive discounts available throughout the day. Participating stores include:
- Upsadaisy, 18100 Martin Ave.
- Lou Lou Belle, 2049 Ridge Road.
- Art 4 Soul, 18135 Harwood Ave.
- Bookies New and Used Books, 2015 Ridge Road.
- The Villager, 2007 Ridge Road.
- The Art Corner, 18703 Dixie Highway.
- Homewood Florist, 18064 Martin Ave.
- Reflections Yoga, 18675 Dixie Highway.
- Thomas Photographic, 18705 Dixie Highway.
- Redbird Cafe, 2057 Ridge Road.
- Copper Still Martini Bar, 1961 Ridge Road.
- McDermott Law Group, 2001 Ridge Road.
- La Voute Bar + Bistro, 2034 Ridge Road.
- Johnathan Kane Salon and Spa, 18065 Harwood Ave.
- Melody Mart, 18062 Dixie Highway.
- The Village Door, 2019 Ridge Road.
- Nail Savvy, 18104 Martin Ave.