The village of Homewood will honor eight new inductees to the Hall of Fame in a ceremony on Sunday, Oct. 14, at Ravisloe Country Club.
The village’s Heritage Committee will recognize those who have made significant and beneficial contributions to the life and well-being of the village. Details and invitations will be available at a later date.
The biennial honor is typically given to five new members each time, some living, some posthumous, but village Heritage Committee Chairwoman Elaine Egdorf often notes that the number of worthy nominees always exceeds that number, so she asked for an expansion this year.
The 2018 inductees will be:
- The late William Buggert was the village’s first fire chief. He was an early village trustee and business leader.
- Bill Frank is a business owner, long-time chairman of the former Homewood Days festival, who served on the Village Board of Trustees, the Plan Commission, was a leader with the Chicago Southland Chamber and Illinois Chamber of Commerce, an American Legion member and coach.
- The late Peggy Eisenstein was a long-time volunteer with the Friends of Homewood Public Library, Aunt Martha’s Health & Wellness, local schools and the National Council of Jewish Women.
- James Gannon is the former Homewood Police Department deputy chief, a fund raiser and volunteer.
- The late Sheryl Hamann was a bank executive and community volunteer at the Cancer Support Center, a member of the Lions Club, the village Plan Commission, the local Chamber of Commerce and the Homewood Centennial Committee.
- The Rev. David Speerbrecker has been pastor of Salem Lutheran Church for more than 26 years, is active in community and charitable causes and a member of the Homewood Ethics Committee.
- The Tienstra Family has been actively involved in Homewood for more than 100 years as business owners and public servants.
- Dr. Francis Wright is a retired dentist who has served on the Homewood Public Library Board, the village Board of Trustees, the Plan Commission and founded the Prairie State College Dental Hygiene Program.
For further information please call Allisa Opyd, village events coordinator, at 708-206-3393 or Heritage Committee Chairwoman Elaine Egdorf 708-798-9535.