The Homewood State Bank was one of the many early businesses located on Main Street (now Ridge Road). The bank building was completed in 1925 and still stands, though its appearance has changed.
When the bank business was first formed in 1908 it was located across the street on the southeast corner of Ridge and Martin. That original bank building is now home of Civilitea Gardens. Seven years after moving to its new building in 1925, the bank closed, a victim of the Depression. In 1946, the Bank of Homewood opened in the former Homewood State Bank building.
The building was remodeled in 1974, giving it the sleek, modern exterior it has today.
Bank of Homewood later became Great Lakes Bank, which closed the Ridge Road facility in 2008. In 2012, the village approved tax increment financing for a hotel project by Dr. Claude Gendreau, owner of Ravisloe Country Club.
La Banque Hotel is set to open in 2015.
Information from Jim Wright, president of the Homewood Historical Society, from his book, “Homewood Through the Years,” and from The Southtown Star.
Contact Eric Crump at [email protected]