University Park, IL: October 2014 – The Illinois Small Business Development Center at Governors State University (“SBDC at GSU”) will host its 12th Veteran’s Entrepreneurial Boot Camp on November 13, 2014, featuring a wide range of informative lectures and workshops from business experts. The full-day event provides veterans and others with an opportunity for practical business education and advice, as well as excellent networking opportunities. The SBDC at GSU offers the program free of charge to veterans; non-veterans are also welcome for a registration fee of $40.
The 2014 SBDC at GSU Veteran’s Entrepreneurial Boot Camp continues a legacy of supporting veterans as they operate in the private sector as current or future business owners. The 2014 scheduled speakers, many of whom are veterans themselves, represent a diverse collection of industries and specialties. In addition to a luncheon keynote address by David G. Seaman, CEO of Pronger Smith MedicalCare, speakers and topics at the event will include:
- A breakfast panel discussion including Gerry Alvarado of Geralex Janitorial Services, Mark Doyle of Rags of Honor, Andrea Brown of Midas and David Lebowitz of SCORE
- “Identifying Obstacles and Opportunities When Buying a Business,” by Joel Schneider of Liberty Technology Advisors, Inc.
- “Business Plans: Why Should I Bother?” by Jerry Janousek of Phoenix Business Solutions
- A finance panel discussion including Kyle Johnson of Accion, Hilary Burkinshaw of CP 504, Cynthia Ryan of Chicagoland Business Opportunity Fund, Roger Wandersee of Sharn Enterprises, Inc., Paul Slade of Old Plank Trail and Community Bank & Trust, Arthur Williams of the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, and Stephen Konkle of the Small Business Administration
- “Managing Employees” by Lema Khorshid of Fuksa Khorshid, LLC
- Lunchtime opening remarks by Robert Steiner of the Small Business Administration
- “Business Canvas Modelling” by Nicole Mandeville of the Women’s Business Development Center
- “International Trade” by Mary Ma of the Illinois SBDC/International Trade Center at Governors State University
- “What Legal Challenges Do You Face?” by Michael Schlesinger of the John Marshall Law School
- “The Advantages of Being a Veteran in Business” by Jeffrey Ficaro of Standard Bank & Trust Company
- “Government Contracting 101” by Rita Haake of the Illinois Procurement Technical Assistance Center at the College of DuPage and Paul Cerpa of the Illinois Department of Central Management Services.
In addition to formal presentations, the day will include a speed networking session and dessert reception.
“Our Veteran’s Entrepreneurial Boot Camp is an excellent opportunity for networking and professional education,” notes Priscilla Cordero, Director of the SBDC at GSU. “We are able to provide tools and advice that business owners, and potential business owners, can put into practice immediately. We’ve assembled an outstanding group of speakers and program sponsors who are looking forward to supporting veterans in our community, as well as others who will benefit from their expert insight.”
The Veteran’s Entrepreneurial Boot Camp takes place from 8:00am to 3:00pm on Tuesday, November 13 at the Center for Performing Arts of Governors State University, 1 University Parkway in University Park, Illinois.
Online registration is available at www.govst.edu/sbdcbootcamp. For more information, call 708 534 4929.
About the Illinois Small Business Development Center:
The Illinois Small Business Development Center at Governors State University (SBDC at GSU) is a collaboration between Governors State University, the Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity, and the U.S. Small Business Administration. Our mission is to create an environment that nurtures entrepreneurship throughout the region. The SBDC at GSU programs develop, finance, grow, and improve the business community through high quality professional services and training, and facilitate public and private partnerships to support all aspects of entrepreneurial development. For information on the SBDC at GSU, call 708 534 4929 or visit www.govst.edu/sbdc.